ECE Finance Specialist
Our team is seeking someone who wants to bring their bookkeeping skills to the front lines of social change with early childhood directors. We are seeking a person to join a growing shared services practice that supports early childhood education (ECE) center directors in Washington, D.C., and beyond with their finance, bookkeeping, reporting and operational needs. If you are excited about using Quickbooks, spreadsheets and compliance skills to make a difference to the community, this position may be right for you.
In this role, you will be an important part of the 20 Degrees ECE team, supporting shared service and back office programs and clients. You will have the opportunity to work alongside early childhood directors by helping them better understand and feel empowered by the financial part of the business of delivering high-quality early childhood education. Your role will be to deliver hands-on support to the centers with reliable bookkeeping, payroll, compliance and billing support. The role will report to the ECE Director
- Financial Management Services (70%) ○ Bookkeeping Services: Work with early childhood center clients to maintain accurate and up-to-date financial records for participants in the shared services offerings of 20 Degrees. This includes but is not limited to bookkeeping entries, general ledger maintenance, and monthly reconciliation and report creation.
- Accounts Payable and Receivable Management: Process invoices, payments, collections and receipts for all centers, ensuring timely and accurate payments to staff, vendors and prompt invoicing of clients.
- Financial Reporting: Prepare regular financial reports for each early childhood center, including profit and loss statements, balance sheets, and cash flow statements. Present financial data to program management as needed.
- HR: Occasional support of HR needs as related to payroll and reporting.
- Operations Tasks and Compliance (20%)
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal financial regulations, reporting requirements, and tax filings.
- Support licensure and other regulatory requirements of early childhood education in the District of Columbia.
- ECE Team Support and Other Duties as Assigned (10%)
- Work closely with the Shared Services Manager and other 20 Degrees staff to deliver training and other technical assistance support to child care providers.
What Success Looks Like in this Role
Success in this role will be judged first and foremost by client feedback on the delivery of financial and bookkeeping services. We want the center directors to feel like we have supported them with accurate reports and financial system entries, reliable systems and a trusting presence. At 20 Degrees we measure both the quality of the delivery itself as well as whether it was done so in alignment with our values and with humility and professionalism. Success will also be measured by how you step into this work as a collaborator with the 20 Degrees team and contribute to the team’s goals and values.
Qualifications That Make You a Star
- 5+ years of bookkeeping experience in a small business or nonprofit environment, preferably in a multi-location setting or shared services environment.
- Proven understanding of bookkeeping and accounting principles, report-generation, practices, and standards in a nonprofit and small business environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of compliance and managing the business side of early childhood centers, small business or nonprofits.
- Proficiency in using accounting software, Quickbooks, Google suite and Microsoft Office.
- Strong finance and math skills.
- Demonstrated experience serving multiple clients at one time.
- Strong preference for bilingual speakers comfortable with explaining financial reports in English and Spanish.
What You Bring that Enables Success
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment with an ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- A knack for paying high attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities to work effectively with providers and other stakeholders who have different levels of comfort with finance.
- Earnestness for the business services work and openness to really being part of our team–we do this work for each other and our clients.
- Willingness to stay positive, deadline-oriented, and solution-focused.
Given requirements to support Washington DC Metro Area regional providers, this position must be located in the DMV metro area. Requires knowledge of the District of Columbia early childhood system, periodic travel within the region for client meetings required (25%) and is performed mostly remotely (75%). This is a full-time salaried role, salary ranges between $50,000 to $57,000, plus performance based bonus structure and profit share with generous benefits, based on experience.